Monday, February 10, 2014

I broke my hip

Long story short: I crashed during a commute on February 3rd. I landed directly on my left hip and ended up breaking it. I went to the hospital Monday morning and had surgery first thing Tuesday morning. They let me go after noon on Wednesday.

I should be able to ride again in 3 months. My instinct is to try to get back on the bike ASAP, but I'm going to try to be smart and take things slow. For now my goal is to take my first ride on May 15th and work up to my first century by October 15th.  I'll have a meeting with my surgeon on the 18th and kind of go from there. I'm hoping I can start physical therapy soon.

For now I'm just trying to eat right and walk around on my crutches as much as I can. Progress has been slow, but I do notice that things are getting a little better every day.

I'm not sure what will become of the blog. I'll try to post an update here and there, and I'll definitely post when I'm back on the bike again and when I ride my first century in October. One thing's for sure: I will be back to riding a century per week again in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment