Friday, January 22, 2016

Week 3

Date
January 18, 2016

Distance
100 miles

Strava Link
Week 3

Route Map/Profile

Weather

Ride Report  

This ride was the highlight of my trip to Tenerife (complete trip report HERE), and it almost didn't happen. I had just climbed Teide the day before and I wasn't so sure I could handle another big day of climbing. I didn't sleep too well and convinced myself that I would bail out and turn around on TF-523 instead of making a complete loop. I'd still probably get around 9,000 feet of climbing for the day and that wouldn't be too shabby for January.

I got on TF-523 and that climb inspired me to keep going. The views were great, there were a lot of switchbacks to keep things interesting, and there was almost no traffic. I may not have been going fast, but my legs weren't hurting and I was in a good rhythm. Sometimes when you're feeling bad and you're on a new climb you'll keep looking around each corner hoping to see the summit. This was completely different. I was looking around each corner just waiting to see the new scenery. That's riding at its best. That's why I came to Tenerife.

Another island in the distance- Gran Canaria
Before I knew it I was at the end of TF-523 and I had about 49 miles. Seems perfect for that bail out, doesn't it? Well, I was feeling good so I scrapped that plan. I knew that I was more than halfway to the high point, so why not keep going. I didn't know (bad wifi in the hotel) the exact numbers. I had just done about 11 miles and 4,000 feet. There were still 8 miles and 2,000 feet to go.

That extra climbing was worth it. The scenery on TF-24 was spectacular. This is where you can really see the volcanic features of the island. You can think of Tenerife as a mixture of beach, desert, forest, and volcano. If I had skipped this portion of the ride I would have missed out on the volcanic side of things and that would have been a real shame.


At the end of the day I was tired and my legs were toast, but it was worth it. If you're ever in Tenerife this is the loop to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment