Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Week 4

Date
January 29, 2016

Distance
100 miles

Strava Link
Week 4

Route Map/Profile

Weather

Ride Report 
I drove out to Yerington to avoid the rain, but there was no avoiding the wind. I'm not usually a fan of doing multiple loops, but on windy days like this it helps to break up the headwind portions. After the 3rd loop I was hoping to continue going west on 208 through the canyon there, which is a nice scenic area next to the river. However, the wind was super strong at that point and was gusty near the canyon.

This has never happened to me before, but I couldn't make it through the canyon. The wind was too gusty and unpredictable. I've ridden through a lot of windy days, especially in Washoe valley, but the wind there is usually steady and predictable. Just lean and push through it. This wind wasn't so easy. At one point it turned my wheel sideways and I was lucky not to crash. Even after I stopped and put my foot down, the fight wasn't over. It was difficult to even stand up straight with my bike. During that whole process the wind blew my sunglasses off of my head and they went flying down the road.

I tried a couple more times and wasn't having much luck. I went ahead and put my ego aside and turned around. No need for a stupid, avoidable crash. I took it easy for the rest of the ride. The wind had really picked up and I just wanted to finish without crashing.


As I was driving home there was a lot of rain in Washoe Valley and there was an overturned semi on 580. My day wasn't great, but it could have been worse. At least I stayed dry and upright. On to week 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment