Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Week 8

Date
February 20th, 2012

Distance
100 miles

Time
6:24:19
Route Map/Profile

This route is an out-and-back from the Cold Springs area to SR 70 in California. 70 is mostly flat, but the scenery is good.

Weather

Warmer than yesterday, but there was more wind.

Picture
A nice Forest Service road off of 70.


Ride Report
I celebrated Presidents day with a nice ride. Who would have been a better cyclist, George Washington or Abe Lincoln? I get the feeling that Washington would have been more of a sprinter and Lincoln more of a climber.

This was my second century in a row, but I didn't feel too much pain from the day before. My time would suggest otherwise, but I think that had more to do with the wind than anything. I had a nice surprise towards the end of the ride when my rear derailleur stopped working. Luckily for me I was in a good gear where I could use the big ring on the flats and just shift down to the small ring for the last few remaining hills. I was afraid that my shift lever was broken (my cable hadn't snapped and it was still in place), but when I got home I just unscrewed the cable, screwed it back in, and it began working again. I'm not sure what caused the problem and I hope it doesn't happen again. I can't afford many more broken parts. Recently I've had to deal with a cracked fork, a cracked stem, and a broken rear brake caliper.

No comments:

Post a Comment