Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Week 32

Date
August 10th, 2012

Distance
115 Miles

Time
7:49:50

Route Map/Profile
Geiger, Kingsbury, and Gold Hill. I didn't map the detour through Virginia City, which is why the mileage isn't exactly correct.

Weather

Picture
Virginia City

Ride Report
There was a break in the road work on Geiger Grade, so I took advantage and headed towards Virginia City. I've been avoiding Geiger all summer thanks to the road work. It hasn't been too big of a deal since the weather is still nice and I just ride Mt. Rose instead, but I have missed the occasional trip up Geiger Grade and I rode a fast pace (fast for a long ride, at least) because I was excited to see it again. My usual route through Virginia City was closed off for Hot August Nights, but it was early and they were only setting up, so I didn't get to see too much action going on.

I did the usual descent down the truck route and made my way towards Kingsbury Grade. I didn't feel great going up Kingsbury, which I attributed mostly to the wind. I did the descent down 50, which isn't the best (storm drains in the shoulder), but I still ride it from time to time.

I decided to go straight through Gold Hill to get to Virginia City because I heard that they started mining there again recently (http://www.rgj.com/article/20120808/NEWS/308090009/Local-company-begins-gold-silver-mining-Comstock) and I wanted to check it out for myself. Sure enough, I saw a couple big dump trucks along the way, which is bad news for cyclists. I never liked descending through Gold Hill (it's too fast for me and the truck route has better scenery and less traffic), but the ascent is always a good test with its steep sections. It's going to be dangerous through there now with the dump trucks, and if cars decide to start using the truck route instead, that's going to ruin one of my favorite stretches of road. I know there are a lot of people in the area who are against the mine, and you can add me to that list.

Meanwhile, the ride itself turned into a disaster. My quads started cramping just as I hit the steep sections and eventually my right leg completely locked up and I had to stop. Once I could move it again, I unclipped my right foot and the leg locked up again. I've never actually had cramps in my quads like that- only in my calves a few times and that has only been after the ride is over. I took a short break and got back on again, but the cramps returned after only a minute or two. I took a longer break, massaged my legs a little, and then returned to riding as easily as I could. Unfortunately, I was on the steepest part of the climb, so there wasn't time to soft pedal and ease into things. Luckily, the cramps didn't return and after another short climb there was a 7-mile descent coming my way, so I was able to slowly but surely make my way home.

What caused the cramps? I don't have a history of cramping. It was hot, but I'm usually good in the heat and I didn't feel uncomfortable. I had plenty of water along the way and I was good on my calorie intake. I usually take Endurolytes on extra hot days or on double centuries, but today I didn't have any. Honestly, I was wondering whether they actually made a difference or not. Even if they're only acting as a placebo, you can be sure I'll bring some along on the next ride. However, I get the feeling that I just didn't have the legs today. I did 3 centuries last week and I wasn't feeling strong on Kingsbury Grade earlier in the ride. I'm probably just out of gas and the legs finally gave in. We'll see what happens next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment