Monday, June 29, 2015

Week 26

Date
June 27, 2015

Distance
111 miles

Strava Link
Week 26

Route Map/Profile

Weather

Ride Report 
We had record-breaking heat in Reno on Saturday and I celebrated with a modified version of the LeMond loop. I rode both sides of Mt. Rose, then 342 and Six Mile Canyon. The day started out well and I rode a decent pace up the east side of Mt. Rose, but the west side was a different story. I don't know what it is about the west side of Mt. Rose, but it's probably my least favorite climb in the area. It should be a favorite. Its numbers aren't particularly impressive (7.5 miles at 6%), it has a nice bike lane for the entire climb, and there's often a tailwind. The problem is that I never seem to ride it with fresh legs. I have either just climbed the east side of Mt. Rose or I'm towards the end of a long ride and heading back home. There are a lot of long, straight sections that seem to take forever when I'm going so slow. I didn't have many miles in my legs by the time I rode the west side of Mt. Rose today, but the east side of Mt. Rose has its way of sucking the energy out of your legs and I did a slow ascent.

The rest of the ride was pretty easy until I hit 342. I was ready for a super hot ride into Virginia City, but a storm rolled in and things cooled off considerably. My timing was perfect. There were a few sprinkles by the time I hit Gold Hill, but nothing major. Things looked clearer to the east, so I did a descent down Six Mile Canyon and rode straight back up. By the time I made it back to Virginia City the roads were completely dry but the temperatures were still cool. Somehow I managed to have perfect timing.

Looking south from 341
I'll have a 3-day weekend coming up thanks to the 4th of July. I haven't decided what I want to do yet, but hopefully it will be something big.

No comments:

Post a Comment