Thursday, September 17, 2015

Week 37

Date
September 12, 2015

Distance
110 miles

Strava Link
Week 37

Route Map/Profile

Weather

Ride Report 
The weather was great, so I had to take advantage and head up Mt. Rose to Lake Tahoe. When you add up the 3 weeks of riding across the country plus two weeks of being lazy, it's been a while since I've been out there.

This ride marks 3 weeks since the end of Petoji, and I'm finally starting to regain my urge to ride again. I feel like I'm pretty close to being mentally recovered. Physically, I feel a long way off. This was the most climbing I've done in a while (since Day 2 on August 1st), and it showed. Mt. Rose hit me with the jabs and Gold Hill delivered the knockout punch.

Smoke in the air on Kingsbury Grade

I felt completely out of shape out there, almost like it was my first big climbing ride of the spring after not climbing much during the winter. I suppose it should have been expected. Petoji was a tough ride, but there wasn't a whole lot of climbing involved. My legs were dead after the ride. However, I was able to recover quickly. I rode 3 flat hours the next day and felt pretty good. I may have lost my climbing form, but I still have that ability to recover and be ready for the next day.

I'm going to try to make the most out of the rest of the year. I'm over 12,000 miles so far and want to hit 15,000 by the end of the year. Fall is coming soon, so there isn't a whole lot of time left. After I hit 15,000 miles I want to use this winter to do more off-bike things than normal. I want to get in a little more weight training and a lot more stretching. I've been doing a little bit of stretching over the past few weeks and my flexibility is garbage. I'd like to do a little experimenting and see if improved flexibility can make a difference on the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment