Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Week 15

Date
April 17, 2016

Distance
104 miles

Strava Link
Week 15

Route Map/Profile

Weather

Ride Report 
Another beautiful spring day. The route was mostly flat except for two climbs: Gold Hill and Spooner Summit. It's funny how I've done a lot of different route combinations with Mt. Rose, Spooner Summit, Kingsbury Grade, and the 3 Virginia City climbs, but I don't think I've ever done this exact route. I guess that even if you've lived somewhere for a long time and done a ton of riding, there's still something new you can do.

I was really enjoying myself on the Truck Route descent. I've said before that it's my favorite descent, but today the weather was just so nice and there were a lot of flowers out there- yellow, red, white, and purple. I was taking it slow and enjoying the view. I stopped to take some pictures and then I noticed some wild horses on the other side of the hill. Today the Truck Route descent had it all.




I'm thinking about doing another Everesting attempt in late April or early May. I have April 29th off, so if the weather is good that will be my target date. It has to be a local one, so I have two segments in mind: Combs Canyon and the aforementioned Truck Route. They have their advantages and disadvantages. As much as I love the Truck Route, it's not very steep. It would take 23 reps for around 225 miles. Combs Canyon would take 105 reps for about 170 miles. The Combs Canyon descent is nice and straight, so you can really build up some speed there. There's also a little uphill at the end of the descent which is (a) a nice place to slow down from the descent and (b) a nice little ramp to start the climb on the way back. The main disadvantage is that it's a short segment, but 105 reps doesn't sound like a lot compared to the 460 I did last time.

We'll see what happens. Maybe another segment will come to mind between now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment