Friday, August 16, 2013

Spectator Report: 2013 Tour of Utah Stage 1

The Tour of Utah finally visited southern Utah in 2013 and I had to be there. Stage 1 started at Brian Head resort (9600 feet) and finished in Cedar City.

Stage 1 Route

I was camping at Cedar Canyon Campground, which is along the route about 12 miles east of Cedar City. My plan was to ride to Brian Head for the start, then jump ahead of the route by riding south on 148 to rejoin the route on 12. The plan worked well and I was happy with the way the day turned out.

The ride to Brian Head was only 18 miles, but gained 2,641 feet.

On the way to Brian Head
 I got there pretty early and the BMC bus was already in the parking lot.

BMC Bus
 As cars and buses started to trickle in, Dave Zabriskie strolled past me towards a team car with Christian Vande Velde inside.

Dave Z and CVV
Cannondale Bus
Fast Freddie was there, and his new US Champion kit from Jelly Belly is a sight to see. I couldn't get a great picture, but here it is.

Fast Freddie
Jelly Belly also has Mexican Champion Luis Lemus, who seems like a really nice guy. A couple of kids were walking by and he offered them some jelly beans, which they loved.

Luis Lemus grabbing more jelly beans
Continuing the national champion theme, here is Tomas Vaitkus, Lithuanian champion.

Tomas Vaitkus
Former US national champion George Hincapie was there with his team. He looks like he's still in great shape.

George Hincapie

I'm used to seeing Bob Roll do the TV interviews in California and Colorado, but the Tour of Utah was covered by Fox Sports, so there was a new interviewer in town. Here she is with Chris Horner.

Horner and Fox Sports
Chris Horner at the Tour of Utah
The sign-in area was close, so I went to check it out for a little while. I couldn't get any good pictures, but I saw interviews with Luis Lemus, Jens Voigt, and birthday boy and eventual breakaway rider Chris Jones.

Ryder Hesjedal leaving the sign-in area
Jens Voigt entertaining the fans
\I wanted a better picture or Ryder Hesjedal, so I stalked him a little bit. Unfortunately, this is the best I could do.

Ryder Hesjedal
I left the start area early so I could ride up the road a little bit to find a good viewing spot. As I was leaving, I noticed that riders were warming up on the road, so I stopped for a while to check it out.

Pre-Stage Pee Break
Jens Voigt, Joseph Schmalz, and Nathan Brown
Ed King (I think)

Serghei Tvetcov
Tomas Vaitkus
Chris Horner and Matthew Busche
I jumped on the road as a few riders were still warming up and started looking for my viewing spot. The day started out with an uphill section and the guys were taking it easy. I saw Chris Horner riding up ahead of me.  I was tempted to sprint ahead of him just so I could claim that I dropped Chris Horner on a climb, but I just cruised along behind the riders and gave them their space. As I was riding I was passed by Meron Russom of MTN-Qhubeka. I didn't want to get right on his wheel, but I stuck close enough to get a good look at him.

Meron Russom
Eventually all the riders turned back around towards the start and I found my viewing spot. It was a nice uphill section maybe about 2 miles from the start with a good view of Cedar Breaks.

The bike and Cedar Breaks

Cedar Breaks
A 2-man breakaway formed early, containing Michael Torckler and Chris Jones.
The Breakaway

The Breakaway
Then the peloton came cruising through.



















I also took videos.




Once the peloton was gone, I rode south on 148 to rejoin the route on 12. I stopped along the way for more pictures of Cedar Breaks.




From 12 I rode the route backwards, looking for a good spot to watch. There were too many good spots to choose from, so I just rode for as long as I could until the riders were getting close.





After the riders were gone I rode the stage route back to camp, picking up a few bottles along the way. Greg Van Avermaet won Stage 1 thanks to a late solo attack. I ended up with about 78 miles and 7,200 feet of climbing. The scenery was great, I got to watch the riders twice in one day, and I even got a few bottles. It was a great day.


If you haven't seen them, check out my previous spectator reports:

2012 Tour of California
2012 USA Pro Cycling Challenge
2013 Tour of California Stage 4
2013 Tour of California Stage 5


2 comments:

  1. Really nice and interesting post. I was looking for this kind of information and enjoyed reading this one. Keep posting. Thanks for sharing.

    Brian Head

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I hope to be back at the race next year.

      Delete