Monday, December 9, 2013

Week 49

Date
December 6th, 2013

Distance
105 Miles

Time
7:05:21

Route Map/Profile

Weather

Picture


Ride Report
We had a storm roll through on Tuesday that brought an end to that warm weather I've been enjoying for the last few weeks. It dumped quite a bit of snow, which made for an interesting day of commutes where I was passing long lines of cars stuck on a hill. The rest of the week was OK- cold but not snowy. The roads were fine except that the ice and dirt ends up in the bike lanes, making them difficult to use. I've been spoiled by the bike lanes and shoulders here in Reno. I forgot how much easier they make things. I had to be very aggressive with my positioning without them.

More snow was coming Saturday, so I decided to squeeze in my ride on Friday after work (I've been working 11pm-7:30am lately.). I rode home from work, changed, ate, and hit the road again. I was a little worried that I'd feel tired and be extra slow, but none of that was an issue compared to the temperatures. However, the wind didn't kick in until late in the ride, so it could have been much worse.

I was reluctant to squeeze in the ride on Friday, but it turned out to be the right decision. Saturday's snow was heavier (at least in my part of town) and it's been sticking on the roads longer. It's also been colder, with the overnight lows getting close to 0°F. I thought Friday's ride was tough, but a Saturday or Sunday ride would have been worse.

Strava Links: 1 2 3

No comments:

Post a Comment