Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Week 18

Date
May 2, 2015

Distance
124 miles

Strava Link
Week 18

Route Map/Profile

Weather

Ride Report 

The weather was good, so I decided to climb Mt. Rose for the second time this year. I followed that up with both sides of Kingsbury, then a descent down 50 for a flat final 40 miles or so of the ride.

I felt pretty good on Mt. Rose. I wasn't setting any PRs or anything, but I was keeping a pretty good pace considering that I still had a long day ahead of me after Mt. Rose was finished.

Mt. Rose descent
I felt OK until Kingsbury, and then I started to run out of gas. I have plenty of excuses. I had a short episode of food poisoning on Wednesday. I thought I was over it, but there may have been some lingering effects. The more likely explanation is that Mt. Rose can really suck the energy out of you if you're not in great shape. I did a slow climb up the east side of Kingsbury and took it easy for the rest of the ride, spending most of my time thinking about the watermelon that was waiting for me at home.

It wasn't a great performance, but it's almost starting to feel like summer out there and it will take a few big climbing rides to whip my body into shape. Hopefully I'll get another chance next week. I'll be riding on Saturday and then Sunday I'm heading to Sacramento to watch Stage 1 of the Tour of California.

No comments:

Post a Comment