Thursday, March 17, 2016

Week 10

Date
March 12, 2016

Distance
100 miles

Strava Link
Week 10

Route Map/Profile

Weather

Ride Report 
I'll give a quick update from last week. Still no news from the cops on my stolen bike, but the good news is that I found a really good deal on Craigslist on an older aluminum road bike that looks practically brand new. I know everyone says that the bike they're selling has been siting in the garage forever, but I actually believe it for this bike. The crank is an older silver Shimano 105 crank and you can tell by looking at it that it hasn't seen much use. I had a similar crank in the past and once you put enough miles on it you can clean it all you want, but it will never look perfectly brand new again. This one still looks brand new.

After I buy new tires and a few little things I'll be out less than $300 total to replace my old bike. Obviously I would have rather spent the $300 on something else, but now my new commuter bike is in much better shape than my old commuter bike and if I lock this one up properly the frame should last me another 10 years.

As for the ride, this week was another windy one. I actually woke up early and started around 1:00 AM hoping to beat the wind, but that didn't work. The wind was already blowing hard, so it was a long day. The good news is that (a) there was hardly any traffic out there so early in the morning and (b) I got to see a pretty nice sunrise towards the end of the ride.




I've been busy lately (not a full day off for 8 weeks) and my work schedule has been difficult to work around (hence the 1 AM start). All this crappy weather we've had recently hasn't made things any easier. It will get better soon, though. I have 4 days off starting on the 21st and I hope to make it to Death Valley for a short trip. My work schedule is also changing and I'll have most of the day free on Sundays to get my long rides in. Change is coming. Keep pushing forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment