Monday, February 27, 2017

Week 8

Date
February 26, 2017

Distance
101 miles

Strava Link
Week 8

Route Map/Profile

Weather

Ride Video


Ride Report 
Things were a mess earlier this week. My car broke down on Friday, so I spent all of Monday taking care of that issue. The car was an old Saturn that came into the picture in early 2014 after I broke my hip. Before that time I was a hardcore bike commuter and didn't have my own car. I didn't expect much out of the car. I figured I would recover from my injury and go back to riding my bike everywhere. Well, having a car spoiled me and I actually preferred being able to get more rest during the week so I could ride harder on my days off. My commute at the time was 23 miles per day, which isn't a whole lot but does get old after a while. I think something around the 10-mile per day mark would be just about perfect. But here I am now living 25 miles away from work because I'm an idiot.

Anyway, the car was worth so little and it broke down so badly that it didn't make sense to fix it. I ended up buying another older POS because I'm cheap. If I get 3 years out of this car I'll be happy. I got a minivan, believe it or not. I have this fantasy of living in a van for a year. This isn't the right van for the job, but maybe it's like a gateway drug into the van world. I can fit both a road bike and a mountain bike in there. I may or may not be able to fit my motorcycle in there. I'm going to try in the next few days. If I can't get it to fit, it's capable of pulling a small trailer. I'm hoping this will be my solution to riding across Nevada later this year. I can leave the van near the NV/UT border, ride the motorcycle home, then ride my bike back to the van. I have all kinds of dumb ideas. I probably should have bought an even cheaper car, but the van was only $3,000 and I'm hoping having my motorcycle will keep my fuel expenses low during the summer.


Back to this week's ride. It rained on Monday and Tuesday, so I put this ride off until Sunday. Sound familiar? Just like last time, the weather cooperated. It was windy, but lately any day with sunshine feels like a victory. I'm hoping for more of the same next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment