Monday, March 20, 2017

Week 11

Date
March 13, 2017

Distance
104 miles

Strava Link
Week 11

Route Map/Profile


Weather


Ride Video



Ride Report 
This was the second day of a back-to-back. I was planning on doing a little climbing near Virginia City, but things didn't quite go as planned. I did the climb up Gold Hill and started the descent down the truck route. I even saw some horses along the way.


Then I ran into a flagger, which didn't seem like a big deal. I was on the descent, so I could keep up with traffic. However, the stupid flagger lady told me I would have to put my bike inside the pilot car and ride down for a few miles. There's no way in hell I was going to do that. I'm sure arguing with her would have been a waste of time, so I just turned around to go back the way I came.

At that point I should have just gone to Reno via Geiger Grade. Unfortunately, I had a dumb idea that I would go up 6 Mile Canyon. I knew that the flooding earlier this year tore up the road, but on my way to Virginia City I didn't see any signs on Highway 50 saying that 6 Mile Canyon was closed, so I figured they must have fixed it by now. Not very smart.

Well, I made it through the little neighborhood on 6 Mile Canyon right up to the point where the road starts getting interesting, and there were barriers saying the road was closed. I know I should have checked the DOT website, so it's really my fault, but a little bit of warning would have been nice.

After that I was pretty much just riding back and forth on 50 to get my 100 miles in. I wanted to do more climbing today, but poor planning and bad decisions prevented that from happening. Lesson learned.

The weather was great and I ended up having fun out there anyway. I also had a very fun day on the MTB the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment