Sunday, March 12, 2017

Week 10

Date
March 7, 2017

Distance
100 miles

Strava Link
Week 10

Route Map/Profile


Weather
Ride Video



Ride Report 
I did a flat route today to test out my new Syntace C3 aerobars. At 366 grams (size M) these are some of the lightest full-size aerobars I could find. The one drawback is that the extensions are not adjustable from front to back. Instead, they are offered in 3 different sizes. I used the online chart and was a little surprised to see that I was in the medium range (I'm 5'7" with short arms.), but I trusted the chart and they fit me perfectly.

I was happy with how my first day on aerobars went. I feel pretty comfortable and don't think I'll need to adjust my overall bike fit. I ride with a more forward saddle position anyway, so that probably helps. My arms got a little sore after extended periods of time on the aerobars, but I could tell it was nothing serious and I just need more time to get used to the position. I have 3 months to do just that.

Why did I get aerobars? My bike has a relatively tall head tube, so the setup looks a bit dorky and out of place. But I didn't get aero bars to be aero. I'm more concerned about the extra body position they provide during long days in the saddle. If you remember back to Petoji, my main complaint was pain in my hands. Now I'll be able to take pressure off of my hands from time to time. I'm hoping that will make a big difference on my south to north ride.

The big disadvantage is that it's not a great setup for climbing. The aerobars don't leave much room on the tops, which is where I spend most of my time when I'm climbing. They also add 366 grams, which isn't much, but makes the front end feel different when I'm out of the saddle. I'm sure I'll just get used to that over time. Either way, there isn't much climbing on my south to north route, so it's not really an issue. It's definitely worth the trade on this route.

No comments:

Post a Comment