Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Week 19

Date
May 12th, 2012

Distance
211 Miles

Time
12:41:20

Route Map/Profile


Weather
It was much cooler along the coast.

Picture
From Nacimiento-Ferguson: A cloud of fog hugs the coast.
Ride Report
This was the Central Coast Double, which is the second double in the California Triple Crown Stage Race this year. (The Mulholland Double was the first, which was Week 15 here.) Official results haven't been posted yet, but I finished somewhere around 13:15. On-bike time was 12:41. I'll add an update at the bottom of this page when results come in.


I started the ride near the front and found myself with a smaller group of very strong guys along the coast. I tend to lose time on flat roads and in headwinds, so I was glad to see those guys there. I had to ride at my limit to stay with them, but I would have lost a lot of time there if I rode solo at my own pace. I worried that I might pay for this effort later on, but towards the end of the ride I didn't feel any worse than I normally do at the 175+ mile mark. I felt good on the Nacimiento-Ferguson climb and rode my own steady pace for the second half of the ride. At one point I felt like I was going to break the 13-hour mark and that was my motivation to keep riding hard. I ended up falling well short of that goal, but it was fun while it lasted.


After the ride the real fun began when I headed towards San Francisco to watch Stages 1 & 2 of the Amgen Tour of California.

UPDATE: Official finish time was 13:07.

No comments:

Post a Comment