Sunday, October 16, 2016

Week 40

Date
October 4, 2016

Distance
103 miles

Strava Link
Week 40

Route Map/Profile

Weather


Ride Report 
Sorry for the late posts over the last few weeks. There's a lot going on.

First of all, there was a little snow in the mountains, but most of it melted before I could get a good picture.

The best I could do.
The end (of the year) is near. It's October, there's snow, and the week number is up into the 40s. Summer is over and it's not coming back. We have to hope we made the most of it and try to do bigger and better things next year.

Quick tubeless update: The Fusion is officially dead. I got a huge cut in the rear tire descending Highway 50 and had to put a tube in. I'm not even upset at this point. I was riding the Fusion way past its useful life. The final mileage for the rear tire was 1610. I'm going to keep the old front tire on and get a new rear tire. Usually I would swap the old front tire to the rear, but I know it won't last long back there. Plus, I want to start testing a new rear tire and the only real way to test durability is on the rear. More on that next week.

Here's the biggest news: This was my last century from the home in Reno. I moved out on the 11th, which was a sad day for me. I'll focus on the cycling side of it since this is a cycling blog, after all. I lived right near the intersection of Mt. Rose and Geiger Grade. I could get to the top of Geiger in under 10 miles and to the top of Mt. Rose under 20. There was also an easy commute to Reno and almost all of the roads had bike lanes. As far as I'm concerned, it was the perfect place to live in Reno.

I'm not religious. I'm not even spiritual. But I do realize how lucky I am. The sad part is that it seems like I have to lose something before I fully understand. It happened that way with my hip. I never fully appreciated how lucky I was to be healthy until I broke my hip and all of the sudden that was gone. Luckily for me I was able to bounce back from that, so much so that I recently set a PR on Geiger Grade. Now all of the sudden I don't live in the perfect spot in Reno and I can better appreciate how lucky I have been for the past 4 years. I lived a fortunate life, and most of that had nothing to do with any of my own decisions, actions, etc. In fact, it was probably in spite of them.






But here I am, passing through a tunnel of life. I can't really see what's on the other side. I can only hope it's as good as the side I've been on up until now.

No comments:

Post a Comment