Sunday, October 16, 2016

Week 39

Date
September 27, 2016

Distance
103 miles

Strava Link
Week 39

Route Map/Profile

Weather
 
Ride Report 
There was a high of 90 degrees today. That will probably be the warmest day of the rest of the year. I soaked up the sun and did an easier route with just 2 climbs.



How about another tubeless update? As mentioned last week, I'm not happy with how fast these tires (Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance) are wearing out. I've put 1,425 miles on them and I should have thrown them out already. Here's one example:


Granted, Hutchinson never claimed these would be long-lasting tires, but less than 1,500 miles is ridiculous. They do have a nice feel and great grip. I will give them that. However, their puncture resistance isn't good (I stopped counting after 10. Who knows how many smaller ones I didn't notice.) and obviously their durability is lacking. I'm glad I got these on sale, but even on sale they weren't cheap. Like I said before, the big problem with road tubeless right now is that there aren't a lot of different tires to choose from, and most of them are expensive.

The good news is that I'm still happy with my tubeless experiment as a whole. I only had to stop one time to put in a tube during those 1,425 miles. That's better than I was doing on standard tires and tubes. Not only that, but I've been able to run lower tire pressure, which really does make for a more comfortable ride. If I can find a good, durable tire I will be very happy on tubeless. I don't see myself switching back.

No comments:

Post a Comment