Monday, September 5, 2016

Week 34

Date
August 28, 2016

Distance
115 miles

Strava Link
Week 34

Route Map/Profile
The missing part is here.

Weather

Ride Report 
This is a fun loop that I've never done before. It starts at the Hallelujah Junction, takes the back roads out to Janesville, then takes 395 (plenty of shoulder) back to the Hallelujah Junction. I wasn't too sure what to expect with the road conditions, which turned out to be a bit of a mixed bag. After I first turned off of 70, there was road construction in process and the roads are brand new and beautifully smooth.

New, smooth, and scenic.
After a while the construction ended and the roads were pretty rough in places. There was one very short section of gravel, but it was less than a mile and on a flat stretch of road, so it was easy to ride. There was a little bit of everything, which made for a fun day and turned out to be a good test of my new tubeless tires. I've been experimenting with tire pressure, trying to find out how low I can go. It's a weird feeling for me because I've been running narrow tires at high pressure for so long. (CyclingTips recently put up a  podcast on the subject here, which pretty much sums everything up.) I was running 75 on the rear and 70 on the front today. It was definitely a more comfortable ride, but it will take some getting used to. I keep thinking that my tire is going flat. I did another century the next day and I went up to 80/75. I'll probably stay close to there for a while just to get used to the feel of it. Then I'll start going lower and experimenting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment