Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Week 37

Date
September 18, 2016

Distance
100 miles

Strava Link
Week 37

Route Map/Profile

Weather

Ride Report 
The weather was great this week. It felt like summer out there. It was the perfect day to do some climbing. I started with Geiger, then did a Six Mile Canyon Loop, Gold Hill, and another Six Mile Canyon Loop. That wasn't quite 100 miles, so I rode on Mount Rose up to the point where the bike lane ends to finish off the ride.

I love Six Mile Canyon this time of year. I've probably said that 100 times already, but it really is a ton of fun riding through there when the leaves are changing from green to yellow. Today the trees were mostly green, but you can see the yellow starting to poke through.
 

Tubeless Update: I had my worst flat yet this week. I was doing a little 1-hour ride after work and got a bad puncture on the front. I'm not sure what I hit, but it was something that made a big cut in the tire. It wasn't sealing very well at all. It would get sealed up, then I would hit a bumpy stretch of road and it would open back up again. The good news is that I was still able to ride home (~5 miles probably) without stopping to put a tube in. The bad news is that this cut is probably one that I'm going to have to patch. It seems like it sealed up over night, but I might as well patch it up just in case.

Sealant can't fix everything. That's the worst-case scenario, to get a cut that is too big to seal. But if that happens you're pretty much screwed either way. A cut like that definitely would have punctured a tube. Then you have to hope that the cut isn't so big that it completely ruins the tire. That doesn't happen very often, but it's happened to me a few times in the past. It doesn't happen to me very often because I tend to run sturdy tires. Here's where the real downside of tubeless comes in. Tire selection is somewhat limited. I recently found out that there's a Maxxis ReFuse tubeless tire, which I will definitely try this winter

No comments:

Post a Comment